MARIN SCUBA CLUB Environmental Guidelines
We shall strive to incorporate sustainability into our operations. Specifically, we shall conserve energy, water and natural resources, purchase environmentally preferable products, “Reduce, Reuse and Recycle”, and promote environmental education and awareness to our members.Conserve energy, water and natural resources.
Reduce, Reuse and Recycle
We shall act reasonably to:
- Reduce our waste stream by increasing our recycling and composting capabilities, including having containers to recycle glass and cans at Club events and increase waste diversion by recycling paper, cardboard, wood, metals, bottles, plastics, packaging and cans.
- Accumulate less waste by ordering in bulk or picking up items that do not require plastic fill and boxes, rather than ordering online.
- Eliminate individual, single-use bottles of water and plastic straws. Replace aerosol products with pump-dispensed ones.
- Discourage the use of disposable products by using washable/reusable items. Use truly compostable ware, such as wood/bamboo utensils, as corn-based utensils are not compostable in Marin County.
- Use natural lighting and solar energy, where feasible. Turn off lighting and appliances in unoccupied rooms.
- At meetings, try to take our own non-disposable beverage containers rather than use plastic cups or disposable items provided by café. Promote the use of local, organic, and/or fair-trade products and seafood that is sustainable.
We shall use reasonable efforts to reduce the use of toxic materials to protect members’ health and the environment. Specifically, we shall:
- Purchase low to non-toxic cleaning products (only those approved for use by the CA Green Business Program), if available.
- Switch to recycled content products, materials and supplies, when available.
- Recycle universal wastes (electronics, batteries, fluorescent light tubes), used motor oil.
- Purchase rechargeable batteries and appliances.
Environmentally Preferable Purchasing for Club Functions
We shall purchase/use the following:
• Kitchen paper towels or napkins for club events with recycled content (50% minimum).
• Products with the least plastic, polystyrene or aerosol packaging.
• Recycled content-containing supplies.
• Canvas bags and reusable to-go containers.
• Metal or paper straws only if necessary and omit plastic straws at all club functions.
• Gifts and prizes at holiday and party functions that include environmentally protective items to promote conservation, such as metal straws, cloth tote bags for camping, metal or glass reusable water bottles.
Conserve Fossil Fuels/Travel
We shall conserve fossil fuels by:
• Offsetting the footprint of air travel by purchasing carbon offsets through programs like Terrapass or CoolEffect. This is not required but a good idea!
• Looking for greener accommodation options such as hotels certified Green Globe, STEP.
• Recommend walking, biking and carpooling to all Marin Scuba Club events.
We shall educate members on resource conservation and pollution prevention, including providing information on environmentally sustainable fish consumption, best diving practices to conserve the ocean, the environment and sunscreens that are non-toxic to the environment. We shall observe a “leave no trace” or “pack in, pack out” policy for camping events.